1¾ cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Lard or Shortening
½ Cup Water, additional as necessary
Oil for deep fat frying
- 1. In a heavy Stock Pot or Deep Fryer heat the cooking oil to 375°F.
- 2. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl. Cut the lard into the flour with a pastry cutter or forks. Slowly add water until a firm adhesive dough is formed. Knead the dough briefly, cover, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- 3. Pinch the dough off in golf ball sized pieces and form irregularly shaped patties about ¼” thick between the hands.
- 4. Fry the patties in the hot oil about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 5. Serve hot sprinkled with cinnamon sugar or with honey or syrup.